Hello, I am Judith Nicogossian, doctor in Biocultural Anthropology and in Philosophy working on the hybrid body, that is to say the impact of techniques and technologies on the human body. I am specialized in Health. I am willing to compile, organize, gather thoughts and events on the cultural and biological changes regarding the human body, mostly focussed in the medical field.
Nowadays the human body interacts with technologies and techniques, not just for reconstructing the disabled body, but also for ameliorating and even enhancing the “normal” human body: to make it feel better, freeer, healthier, more beautiful, live longer and become more powerful. What is at stake in this blog is to focus on the normative criteria, the normalisation and the norms in regard with the human body. To what extend is becoming the human body a bio-cultural construction? Are the techniques of self possibly depending on technologies? What the limits are? It is a broad topic, and we have to face different representations of hybrid body, so ideally this blog will grow bigger in offering few distinct sections:
- Medical (Plastic surgery, neurosurgery)
- Political (Gender studies)
- Cultural (Bio)
This blog aims at making connections between ethnography and anthropology. The hybrid body is of a relevant visual ethnographic interest; its representations are grasping our imaginations. Thenceforth all videos and images possibly connected with that imaginary are welcome. Please feel free to contact me on what you may find relevant to this topic.
At the moment, working for a broad Human Sciences museum (Musée des confluences, Lyon) on setting up the permanent display on the reconstruction/augmentation of the human body in Medicine, I’m collecting thoughts about the human body, from specialists as well as from non-specialists, the standpoints, the views, the imaginary you may have on hybridity (short texts, painting, drawing, collage, sculpture, etc…). Again feel free to send me your contributions! Thank you.
Scientific publications online :
· PHD in Philosophy
· Doctorat d’anthropologie bio-culturelle
· L’évolution du corps humain : plus proche d’un modèle lamarckien?
· La couleur du corps, le paradigme du corps artificiel
Article in Newspaper online :
· “Vers un homme augmenté?” Libération (11/2015)
· SSMG Bruxelles Homo sapiens 2.0 – médecin généraliste 0.0 (2016)
· Namur Salon Autonomies (03/2016)
· Faculté de médecine de Grenoble Forum Libération Mon corps connecté (11/2015)
· Luxembourg Healthcare Summit Le patient du futur (10/2015)
· Les journées d’étude Pierre Mendès France Le corps augmenté : une utopie? (03/2014)
· Nancy Vers la fin du handicap? (2010)
· CNRS Paris Couleurs sur corps (10-11/2008)
· Grenada Social sciences The human body in Medicine (2007)
· ASFS Adélaïde Utopias/ Dystopias (2006)
· University of Queensland Brisbane Re-Visioning Boundaries (2006)
· La norme du corps hybride, l’Harmattan, 2015